Thursday, November 20, 2008

The State of Obama's Cabinet

Much has been written in recent days about the choices Barack Obama has made for his Cabinet, and the mark he is beginning to make on Capitol Hill. Much has been written, but none of it has been written here. The reason for that is simple. I trust Obama in two ways:

First, that he knows more about these government agencies (and his plans for them) than I do.

Second, that his judgment is completely sound, and that his choices, in the end, will reflect that sound judgment.

Am I thrilled about the idea of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State? No…but I can see the political wisdom in offering her the job. (Plus, I do think she would be good at it if she wants to be. And if she can be trusted—but old doubts do still linger.)

Am I infuriated to see Joe Lieberman keep his chairmanship in the senate? Absolutely…but, again, the politics do make some sense. The Democrats still have an outside shot at the magic (and filibuster-proof) number 60. Joe might yet prove to be useful…if he can be trusted. (For the record, I trust him far less than I trust Hillary Clinton. I don’t often say nice things about Mrs. Clinton, and with good reason, but I would never want the idea to float out there that I consider her the equivalent of John McCain’s campaign wingman.)

But all that aside, the point remains that no matter who Barack Hussein Obama, Jr. chooses to serve as Secretary of State or Attorney General, and no matter how he decides to manage the growing majority he has in congress, and despite whether or not I agree or disagree with a particular hire or appointment, in the end those choices will be far better for this country than any made by George W. Bush over these last eight years. This I wholeheartedly believe, and so should you.

Whether you voted for Barack Obama or not, deep down you know that there will be no reason to update this song over these next four years. The inmates will no longer be running the asylum, let alone the White House. And for that we should all be thankful.

No comments: