Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Not A Good Day For Dems

One thing I can be (and have been) accused of is not being entirely honest in my claim of being an independent. The charge is usually that I am giving Democrat X a pass while piling onto Republican Y. I won't even bother to deny it because, after eight years of George W. Bush and his minions, there is probably some truth to be found there. But we're gonna fix all that today, baby!

A quick look at Boston.com reveals the following two headlines:

Daschle Withdraws Nomination

and

Massachusetts Chases Sales Taxes

This is not a banner day for Democrats.

Tom Daschle is an ass. It isn't bad enough that he could not even get re-elected while serving as the minority leader in the Senate. It now comes out (and only after President Obama has nominated him to serve as Secretary of Health and Human Services, mind you) that he has been shirking almost $140,000 in back taxes and interest. Way to go, Tom! And to think, if you had never been nominated for the cabinet then you could have just kept on refusing to pay your debt! Now you aren't heading back to Washington AND you will soon be out 140-large. (Note to the IRS: Please be sure to keep the juice running on this debt. Please.)

Meanwhile, here in the Commonwealth, Governor Deval Patrick has ordered a company in New Hampshire to start charging 5% sales tax to all Massachusetts residents who make purchases there. Yes, you read that right. The Governor of Massachusetts is ordering businesses in other states to charge his constituents taxes that they are not currently required to pay. Think about that for a second.

I commented in the Inauguration Blog that Deval Patrick was all David Axelrod's fault, and I think now it is clear why I am no fan. I'm not opposed to taxes, and I do believe they are the price we pay to live in this society. But I am opposed to my freakin' governor ordering other states to charge me those same taxes he already is. That seems just a wee bit out o' line.

This, of course, is heading to court.

No comments: